FPA Technology Services, Inc.
Username:  Password:  

Google and the iPhone

Permanent link

I don't know if you noticed, but two events unfolded this week without all that much fanfare. Only time will tell if these things will turn out to be significant or not.

The first is the release of Palm's Pre. This is the supposed "iPhone killer". It's actually garnering rave reviews.It does sound pretty good.   It has all the bells and whistles of the iPhone but supposedly integrates the web much further. It also has some intelligence to integrate all your address books and contact lists into one. If it works, this would be pretty cool. Since the OS is based on the web, the apps are more platform independent and should be easier to build than iPhone apps. Palm says they're not looking to take over or cut into Apple's dominance in this area. Their approach is there's still plenty of room for a competitor.

Ths second item of interest is Microsoft's release of bing! (ie: www.bing.com). This is their response (again) to Google. How high are the stakes here? In their first TV commercial, it seems that they even go so far as to accuse Google of causing global economic ruin! Do we need a "better" search engine? Does anyone trust Microsoft to deliver completely objective results?

So, what do these two things have in common? Not much on the surface. But if you dig deeper, plenty. What it means to me is as comfortable and as ingrained as things could be in our daily lives (ie: the iPhone and Google), anything can change at any time. There were search engines before Google (hard to remember, huh!). And there were smartphones before the iPhone. What will the landscape look like in a year, two years, or more? I don't know, but it does remind me to not get complacent. We always need to be thinking about what the future may hold for our businesses and our lives to be successful.

About the Author
Craig Pollack
Craig Pollack Blog Profile Image Craig is the Founder & CEO of FPA Technology Services, Inc. Craig provides the strategy and direction for FPA, ensuring its clients, their business owners, and key decision makers leverage technology most effectively to achieve their business objectives. Craig focuses on ensuring that the technologies implemented by clients are "business centric" and key components of their businesses' success, and that this approach is shared by every staff member of FPA.
Twitter LinkedIn

RSS Feed

By Date

Recent Entries